Sunday, March 8, 2009

Manners-Gone with the wind

I don't mean to be distasteful or disgusting, but since when did passing gas or burping become an acceptable form of communication? My girls think it is great fun when they do these gross activities. They laugh and giggle and are very proud of their accomplishments. They love to do it at the dinner table. It wasn't so long ago that while we were eating dinner and one of my poise daughter's, whom I thought I taught manners, tooted and said in a very loud and proud voice, "I just tooted!" I had it. I said to all of them, "I will never marry any of you off if you don't stop doing these gross things!" They all laughed and nothing has changed since. Just a couple of nights ago, I smelled something stinky. Kayla was standing by me and I said to her, "What stinks?" With a sheepish grin, she said, "I just tooted." Goll, doesn't manners count for anything? Granted, I have had to do these distasteful bodily functions but I don't think that it is any way acceptable to laugh or giggle or do it while other people are eating. I remember my wonderful mother telling me when I was young, to go into the bathroom when these bodily functions were necessary. I remember thinking, "I don't have to go to the bathroom." I now understand why.

No comments: